Queries...

All things Blood.

Moderator: Moderators

kevingpo
Zombie

Queries...

Post by kevingpo » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:01 pm

What is a Trapped Soul pickup item?

And what are the red and green dot counters on the bottom-right-hand of the screen?

Lord Molder

Trapped Souls

Post by Lord Molder » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:53 am

Gudday,I do Believe the Trapped Souls are ammo for the Life Leech weapon,and the counters are,well,i dunno! i always play with the status bar reduced....i`ll have a play and try to figure it out {could be remote and timed bombs ......} :?:

kevingpo
Zombie

Re: Trapped Souls

Post by kevingpo » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:08 pm

Lord Molder wrote:Gudday,I do Believe the Trapped Souls are ammo for the Life Leech weapon,and the counters are,well,i dunno! i always play with the status bar reduced....i`ll have a play and try to figure it out {could be remote and timed bombs ......} :?:
Yes you are correct twice. The little green and red counters are remote and timed bombs.

Don't you just love Blood ;)

Lord Molder

The supremacy of Blood

Post by Lord Molder » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:07 pm

Ive spent FAR too much time playing video games in my time,mainly FPS`s,and i have to say that Blood the most dear to me.It has a charm that just cant be beaten.I have been bitterly dissapointed in all the modern latest games,they just dont put the love into it anymore.Blood has just got that feel.

Ninja_of_DooM
Cultist

Post by Ninja_of_DooM » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:14 pm

I agree with you Lord Molder. While Blood is not at the top of my most favourite games I do have an absoloute blast playing it and find most, if not all, modern games pale in comparision to it. I lvoe the use of black humour most of all adn the one-liners are the best in any game yet.;) And under it all is just a simple point and shoot blast fest with laods of gore.:D If only the source code was released, then the community would grow to be big.:D

Oh and BTW. In case you were wondering, my fave game of all time would have to be DooM. The community is alive and still going strong with several legends going about too like the DooM comic, Impse and Action DooM (this guy actually had it put on a DVD box and sells shirts, new maps have been coming out almost everyday since 1994 and we have countless source ports on the go from implementing 3D models to adding various 3D effects and being able to cross-edit other DooM engine games such as Heretic, HeXen and Strife and in that I mean being able to use features from those game in a normal DooM 2 map. I map for it myself.:) We also got DooM64 onto the PC thanks to a talented mapping team.

I Don't know why but it seems that all the games that use sprites instead of models seem to be the more playable and lasting games around, at least to me. I guess they put the emphasis too much on realism now. I waited 4 years for DooM 3 and at the end of it, all I got was the cutting edge 3D graphics and lighting I wanted but little gameplay value with too many cheap and predictable scare tactics. most DooM 2 levels have better atmosphere than it. Like mine. :twisted: Nowadays I'm more cautious about picking up a new game. I spend my money on Warhammer 40K now and spend most of my game time on the computer for DooM mapping and Blood. I can't stop playing them.:p

And yes, the trapped souls are ammo for your life leech and the red and green TNT icons are for the proxy and remote TNT. Have a nice day.;)

Well, that has to be my longest post ever.:p

Lord Molder

Bring back 1997!

Post by Lord Molder » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:14 pm

Cripes dont get me started on Doom3,within i hour of first playing that pathetic junk i was back to Doomsday!!! 1 hour!!! it was the most dissapointing hour of my life.I ended up forcing myself to complete it but only when i was particularly bored,theres no way im getting the expansion.I am a big fan of Aubrey Hodges Playstation Doom music,i run it while playing the countless number of wads ive pilfered of the Net.Incidentaly,are any of yours available to download??I must warn you ive been around for a while and are very picky!!! {i actually find ids Tim Willits to be an extremely BORING mapper and cant figure out how they thought he was a good mapper!! ive played much better than his}Yes i agree that the old school games are far superior in every way except graphic complexity but i enjoy paying them far more and get just as immersed in them.My mate gives me grief about playing old stuff but he just dosent see the beauty of them.The world is too obssesed with how things look and that is why crap like Doom 3 is produced,a bloated tech demo,a whore in too much makeup looking for a customer!!!???! I just hope that Stalker is everything there making it out to be,coz if it aint.....AAAAGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!

Ninja_of_DooM
Cultist

Post by Ninja_of_DooM » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:04 pm

Depends what you like. My levels are mostly dark, evil looking temple maps with lots of dead bodies, black bricks, wood and rugs plus a nice, big cathedral battle. It requires ZDoom to run.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13108
4/5 score rating now. Generally people hate it being so dark. But look at the 2nd review from the bottom. I don't even think he's done mapping before and I doubt he's old enough to make proper critique.
The 3rd from the bottom doesn't even have a clue.
I don't copy and paste. And cathedrals usually ARE symmetrical! And most maps usually are linear too.
But overall, people liked it. Some say they can't wait for the sequel.:D

Feel free to drop by Newdoom sometime if you're a Doomsday fan. That's where it's hosted and it has a forum.

Lord Molder

Violent Video Games

Post by Lord Molder » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:09 am

Just played your map.Yep its good.Good flow and varied enviroments,i was never bored with the scenery,good contrast between the darker parts and the Cathedral.Liked the use of Hexen and Quake\Quake 2 stuff,and those de-materializing demons! my only gripe is the ammo got sparse towards the end.It actually had a rather Quake-e feel to it,and i found the darkness worked to its advantage along with the gritty feel of Z-Doom.What the Hell is Action Doom??!! ive never heard of it before,does it use the Build engine? will ti be available in stores?? theres no real info on its site?....looks pretty interesting but. :twisted:

Ninja_of_DooM
Cultist

Post by Ninja_of_DooM » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:44 pm

Thanks for your word on the map. I prefer to keep ammo low just to keep the player on their toes. I've nevcer been too good at ammo balancing and found less always made the game more fun to play and added a little fear as the player hopes there's no really big monsters just around the corner.

The level itself is a tribute to a greater series called 'Torment and Torture' which makes an even better use of the resources I used. The author even told me it resembled their work perfectly with the same atmosphere and all that stuff and it was an excellent tribute to the series. Plus it earned me a place on a team of the best mappers and scripters in the ZDoom community.

Action DooM is for ZDoom, there should be a link to download it off the page I linked to. It's basically a 2D side scrolling shooter put into DooM with the player being forced down a linear path and with only 1HP and laods of enemies. Very cool to play.:D

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:30 pm

Is Jailbreak on a megawad set? that name is bloody familiar...I once tried my hand at mapping,but just didn`t have the patience to see it through.Hay somebody`s gotta play the darn things!!! Ive played some awsome Quake episodes as well,Beyond Belief being one i remember as pretty good.Action Doom Sounds different ill give it a shot.
`theres no place like home....Eheheeee!

Ninja_of_DooM
Cultist

Post by Ninja_of_DooM » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:51 pm

Jailbreak? Yep, that's a map that I made for a megawad project.:p The NewDoom Community Project.

Check here for the biggest archive of DooM wads. There's a seperate folder in the Doom 2 folder for port specific levels. That's the best place to try for the better levels seeing as ports are more avance. Although nothing beats vanilla DooM at times.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Stuff

Post by Lord Molder » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:32 pm

I new id played that map before!! it must have been good cos that name stuck in my head!! i wish i could map..... i tried to do one with that nice simple 3D editor {you should have seen this sad thing!!} but gave up.I guess im a better `tester'!! :?

Ninja_of_DooM
Cultist

Post by Ninja_of_DooM » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:39 pm

Practice makes perfect.;) I used to suck at mapping, we all do. But I got better and now my levels are pure quality. I think I have one of my earliest levels on my hard drive somewhere.:)

Besides, DooM mapping is simple. it's all done in a top-down view of the map with lines and vertices, nothing 3D like other games although one editor has a 43D mode but it's only really used for texture alignment and such.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:27 pm

Thats the editor i was using,i found it pretty friendly apart from some infuriating bugs in the 3d preview thingo....that was a while ago but so i guess i could Google it up again and see if there`s a newer version.What in your honest opinion is the easiest to use? and why are doors such a bastard!!!!!?????!!

Ninja_of_DooM
Cultist

Post by Ninja_of_DooM » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:14 pm

It's just a matter of time to learn the appropriate skills. You'll get there.

I use Deepsea. It was only shareware so I bought the full version. It's got a nice built-in and easy to follow tutorial and is crammed with loads of cool tools for othe aspect of editing. Try the shareware version. It has an 800 linedef limit but the tutorial comes in very handy.:D

www.sbsoftware.com

click 'downloads' and download Deepsea 12.06. Once it's iinstalled, start it up and click the tutorial button on the side. It's a yellow smiley.:)