FINALLY - a fix for VESA modes with ATi cards!!!

All things Blood.

Moderator: Moderators

Gamedude
Rat

FINALLY - a fix for VESA modes with ATi cards!!!

Post by Gamedude » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:31 am

I finally got blood to run flawlessly on my PC. I can explain it all for anyone who has trouble running Blood in XP. I followed what was on http://buildxp.deathmask.net/ and it worked for my previous video card, a Radeon X850XT. I used VDMsound to get the sound to work, nolfb.com for the video, and patched the EXE with cli2nop to remove the sound stuttering. However, when I got my new card, Radeon X1900XTX, the game still ran but the colors were all inverted and messed up. I searched the forums here and a few people had the same problem, especially with ATi cards.

I finally found a fix for it. Instead of using nolfb.com, use dgvoodoo. It bypasses your card's built-in VESA support, which kinda sucked on my new card, and uses a software driver for VESA support. Just download dgvoodoo 1.40 from http://dege.freeweb.hu and unzip it. Then run dgvoodoosetup.exe, pick DOS as the platform, then go under the VESA tab and check "use built-in VESA support" and click ok. Then you just have to run dgvesa.com before you run Blood and it should work. Don't use nolfb.com with this, or the game will just crash. Only use one or the other, whichever works for you. The only catch is that the maximum resolution dgvoodoo allows is 1024x768, but that's more than enough for Blood.

For some reason you can't run it directly from your autoexec file by adding the line "c:\blood\dgvesa.com". Instead, you just add the following lines (depending on the directories installed):

cd\blood
dgvesa.com

My autoexec.nt file looks something like this:

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3
cd\blood\dgvoodoo
dgvesa
c:\progra~1\vdmsound\dosdrv.exe

Hope this helps, I now have Blood running flawlessly with perfect sound, video, and speed under XP at resolutions up to 1024x768.

Ephemeral
Cultist

Post by Ephemeral » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:37 pm

Nice Idea! Good to see it works for some people. *thumbs up* :)

White.Sux
Zombie

Post by White.Sux » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:14 pm

"Hope this helps, I now have Blood running flawlessly with perfect sound, video, and speed under XP at resolutions up to 1024x768."

sounds cool........ but everything you describe here worked for me since
i used the

" BLOOD 2 PERFECTION TUTORIAL "

but of course i will try this too.......