blood source code encrypted?

All things Blood.

Moderator: Moderators

vOid
Cultist

blood source code encrypted?

Post by vOid » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:01 am

I recently debated Daedolon over at posty about blood's game code being encrypted. Daedolon is more knowledgeable on the technical aspects of build than myself to be sure. I was taken aback however when he explained to me that blood's source code was not encrypted, it was merely stowed away in an exe file when blood wasn't running.

For years I believed that blood's game code was encrypted, especially after a few conversations with Tim Hale in '01.

I see over at the rebuild site that the map format is indeed encrypted, but the page says nothing about the source code.

So is he right? Have I used the term encrypted incorrectly? What gives here?

[r4]

Post by [r4] » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:32 am

I still wonder what you are trying to say here...

Blood source code has been enclosed with Blood alpha version. Inside a zip archive, that is encrypted with a password, indeed.

vOid
Cultist

Post by vOid » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:13 pm

r4
Blood source code has been enclosed with Blood alpha version. Inside a zip archive, that is encrypted with a password, indeed.
I had no idea that alpha blood's source was pass word protected.
Surely the blood1.0 commercial game code cannot be the same as that in the password protected version found in blood alpha? Blood alpha was released in 94'.

[r4]

Post by [r4] » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:38 pm

You can safely assume so -- I think there are still missing features like voxel rendering and netcode (?).

I don't know about the final executable encryption, so presumably one would be able to decompile it into the assembler. But what gives?

The best option would be to have the source code just like the original devs had it. Look at the DN3D and what the community was able to achieve using it. Heck, even taking into account what's happening nowadays to the Doom, ROTT or even Wolf3d.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:38 pm.