Blood hangs at loading screen

Discussion about using or improving the BuildXP guide.

Moderator: Moderators

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:48 pm

Yes, that was of the versions I tried. Onfortunately, it didn't work.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:06 pm

Bugger!! :evil: Well,i had a look around some other forums,and Blood seems to take great offense at being run on stupid service pack 2.I always say this,but have you considered just duel booting with Win 98SE? thats how i got Dark Forces to run and other oldies that i couldent be bothered wrestling into an incompatible operating system.Can you uninstall Service pack 2 at all?,tried DosBox? Have you tried changing the sound card selected to something different? (i think you have to change in the VDM properties as well ) i think VDM cant emulate a soundblaster with your sound card.Maybey chuck a cheap PCI card in and see if you get any joy (thats assuming your sound is onboard) what a right bloody bastard of a thing.... :(
`theres no place like home....Eheheeee!

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:10 pm

I'll try the things you mentioned, and report the results. Meanwhile, I did try Doosbox, and though the game did work (sounds and everything included, and I didn't even use any helping utilities!), the emulation was obviously way too much for my comp; it was unbearably slow, and the game stutters throughout. Which is kinda strange, considering I'm not using a bad computer: Pentium 4 with a 3 GHz CPU and 512 MB RAM, in addition to a nice video card (NVIDIA GeForce Ti 4600). By the waym, is it supposed to be so slow, or am I doing something wrong? I've tried a number of cycle and memory values, but it doesn't seem to make much difference...

CHYROS
Zombie

Post by CHYROS » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:18 pm

Sorry, that was me. Forgot to enter a name. I registered, so it shouldn't happen again.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:58 pm

Most of the `guest` postings are me.....always forget to log in!!! :roll:
Do you have Hyper Threading enabled?
Have you checked for new drivers for your sound card?

CHYROS
Zombie

Post by CHYROS » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:43 am

yes, I've tried a few things with the sound card, no succes unfortunately. I reckon the Blood should be able to "know" I have a sound card though, after all, dosboxing Blood DOES actually yield sound (nothing to write home about, though :( ). I don't really know if the sound actually is the trouble anyway; maybe the buildxp config just doesn't work on my PC. Naturally, it would be the ideal outcome if I could run blood with Dosbox, but I'll have to circumvent that memory problem somehow...

By the way, what's Hyper Threading?

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:28 am

Some Pentium machines can run multiple threads to spead up multitasking.Have a look in you BIOS and see if you have an option for it.
here`s a thing...try running the game WITHUOT the Build XP steps.I can actually run the game on my Service pack 1 install without Build XP (has to be in the lowest poopy resolution though.
Try setting you resolution to the lowest setting in Blood config and see if you get any joy

.Is there no-one out there who`s had similair problems?!!

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:01 am

Hyper-Threading Technology (HTT) is Intel's trademark for their implementation of the simultaneous multithreading technology on the Pentium 4 microarchitecture. It is basically a more advanced form of Super-threading that first debuted on the Intel Xeon processors and was later added to Pentium 4 processors. The technology improves processor performance under certain workloads by providing useful work for execution units that would otherwise be idle, for example during a cache miss.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:30 am

I guess i was thinking of duel core :? Anyway,thanx for the correction mystery guest! :) (but not for making me look like an idiot!! :oops: )
Are you cluey enough to fix this gentlemans problem? It sux to here of people who cant get this great game running.... :(

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:38 am

Pity you pulled it from Wikipedia,i thought you where smart!! :wink:
I really should read my Upgrading And Repairing PC`s before i spout off.Thing is the daft thing is out of date the minute you walk out of the store with it!! :lol:

CHYROS
Zombie

Post by CHYROS » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:31 am

No, no succes. I've tried running Blood with and without sound, and with and without compatibility, but everytime it does the exact same thing: it displays the red "log" (you know, when Blood is starting), then, it displays only a pitch-black screen. It doesn't even make it ot the "loading demo"-screen :cry: . And I'm pretty sure it did the same thing before I downloaded service pack 2.

Now I come to think of it, does anyone know why Monolith or whatever didn't release some kind of XP fix?

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:27 pm

Ok....download the home of the under dogs version of Blood,uninstall everything to do with previous attempts,use regcleaner to clean things up and start again.What video card are you using? are the drivers the latest?
try setting your sound acceleration to basic.
AAAAAAAARRRGH!!!! :x
I guess Monolith are too busy making boring crap like F.E.A.R to be bothered doing an XP fix.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:37 pm

Maybey you should ask at the following forum
http://postmortem.edgegaming.com/forums ... 77d858ce47
there is some pretty smart cookies there that might be able to help with this problem,not exactly the most friendly mob in my opinion (its a very `in" forum if you catch my drift) but someone there might be able to help.Sorry you still cant get `er running. :(
Sorry i forgot you tried the Under Dogs Version.
Try running it in 320x200 mode.
Also you could try patching the game to the last version if you havent already.Sorry!! :evil:

CHYROS
Zombie

Post by CHYROS » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:33 pm

I'll try the forums. I've tried the 320x200 resolution, it doesn't change anything. Crikey, she's a little bugger, ain't she?

And I still can't understand why Lith is concentrating on a game as boring as FEAR when there's a whole community waiting to play their best game EVER just because they don't take 30 minutes to make the world a better place! Neglecting to do simple, safe labour to save someone's life is a criminal offense, punishable by three months in jail, you know! Lith is going behind bars!

You know what, I'm gonna ask them to make an XP fix right now.
Everybody loves somebody sometime... Not me, baby.

Lizzy
Zombie

Post by Lizzy » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:45 pm

Your forgetting blood is an old game and lith have probably forgotten they've even made blood but telling them to make a XP patch is a good thing although it will probably be something they will work on in there spare time, plus if you think about it not that many people are playing blood even though they bloody well should. I'm not saying you should not bother because i want you to ask, sorry if me saying this makes you hate me for life. :(
PLEASE ''LOVE ME''