I need big help on playing BLOOD

Discussion about using or improving the BuildXP guide.

Moderator: Moderators

Solo
Cultist

I need big help on playing BLOOD

Post by Solo » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:25 pm

OK I have two computers.
One is windows XP also the nicest one wich I really like to play games on.
The other is an old windows ME and I can run Blood on that computer but I can't get sound.
But I would rather play Blood down stairs on the nice computer so is there like a port or something like winQuake is for Quake?
I really would like to play this game so if some one here could help me I wouldn't know how to repay you.
I have one more thing that is strange.
The shareware game of Blood runs on windows XP fine but why dosent the full game...this is so strange you think it would be the other way around. Any way thanks if you do happen to find something tell me where to get it or so fourth since I'm such a noob at blood and such:)

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:27 pm

He,he...i know well the sting of noobness,i am one myself.But ive managed to get stuff runnin wot i thought i couldn`t,so there`s hope for us.First thing`s first...there is no source port available for Blood at the moment.....you have to use the Build XP steps to get the game runnin on XP.Go and try the Build XP guide...follow it TO THE LETTER....and post back if anything is giving you a hassle.Might help to track down a full version of Blood too...coz once you get it running youll want it to keep going for a while,believe me :D Home Of The Underdogs has one for download i believe.Just follow the Build XP instructions and get back to us here if you encounter any trouble.

Sorry i just read your post again....dunno why the shareware would run and not the full version :? try getting a download of Blood One Unit Whole from somewhere and see if that helps (also got heaps more levels than the first release)
`theres no place like home....Eheheeee!

Solo
Cultist

Post by Solo » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:39 pm

Yeah the one I got is cool cuase it has the plasma pack with it:)
The funny thing is.. girls playing BLOOD

Solo
Cultist

Post by Solo » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:44 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to say that I got it to run on DOS.box but I must say I'm not very impressed with how it runs.
Its like trying to run Final DOOM on window 3.1 instead of windows 95.
Know matter how much I keep tweaking it it either has crappy sound and ok gameplay or really good sound and horrible gameplay your screen will freeze for about three secends and you will here cultist's scream and yell at you...then next thing you know our dead when you screen is awake again LOL.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:18 am

he,he...nothing wrong with girls playing Blood.In fact one of the best deathmatch player`s i ever played against was a sheila (Aussie for girl!) she was an uncanny shot,whooped my butt more times than i care to recall :lol:
Anyhow....there are actually numerous source ports for Doom enabling nicer graphics and resolutions.Some good ones are.....ZDoom.....JDoom.....Risen 3D.....and there`s a couple more i think.There`s also ports for Quake and such.Unfortunatly with Blood the source code is needed to make a port and its unavailable for now.Ok...to get Doom running with nice graphics under Win XP use the `Doomsday' source port...
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:37 am

Sorry,you probably already know about the source ports...

What version of XP are you running? Im on service pack 1 and i can install Blood and run it and get (admittedly crappy) sound without without the Build XP steps.
Have you done the Build XP steps to the letter? Im buggerd if i know why this game refuses to run on some XP installs :? there must be some difference between versions or something that mucks things up.Maybe its something to do with the movies or something....try downloading a version of the net and Build XP it and see how you go :idea:

Solo
Cultist

Post by Solo » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:05 pm

I got BLOOD to run pretty good on DOS. Box just now with out music and I don't know how to turn on movies.. oh and the detail is a low as possible but at least I can play:)
another thing is I just found my old copy of Blood 2 The Chosen in a box from the move over and I wanted to wait and install it incase there is some way I should do it for windows XP.
Or dose Blood 2 run ok with xp?

And yes I'm running with service pack 2...that might be the problem..I like to play Doom 3 too LOL
Strangers in the night exchanging glances

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:35 pm

Yes Blood 2 runs on XP...be prepared for a few crashes though.I managed to get through it but in several places it was touch and go.Its very buggy.I think i ran it in compatibility mode as well

Solo
Cultist

Post by Solo » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:18 pm

Oh ok me install and play now:)

Thanks again!

Solo
Cultist

Post by Solo » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:19 pm

I thought I would ask about this.
How do you get the mouse to work with DOS>box for BLOOD?
When I tryed to use it the purple mouse out side of the game would move instead of me looking around.
Even though I can play with just the key board it makes the game better when you can look around.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:13 pm

Hmmmm,hope this helps.
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/d ... E?rev=1.21

Q: The mouse doesn't work.
A: Normally dosbox detects the mouse being used by a game. If you click on
the screen then it should get locked and work.
Sometimes the dosbox mouse detection doesn't work with certain games. You
might have to force to lock the mouse then with ctrl-F10.

Ive never actually used DOSbox,so i dont have any first hand experience with it.It really looks like there is summink in Service pack 2 that causes trouble in older games.In service pack 1 i can run Dark Forces off the cd with VDM Sound perfectly.Im gonna look up the changes in SP2 and see if there isnt summink one can just switch off that might help with running Blood.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:57 pm

The only thing i can find that might have something to do with stuff not running on SP2 is the fact that it block`s programs access to the internet...
Also some programs use `data pages' that the firewall automaticly blocks,so maybe disabling the firewall or creating an exception will help with Blood.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... 0121120120
Ive got a funny feeling summink else is the problem though...ill keep looking for something on DOS games in SP2....but ive tried before and couldn`t come up with anything useful.Does anyone know the secret to the curse of SP2???

Solo
Cultist

Post by Solo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:47 am

Thanks for the help with the mouse now I can fight enemmys better:)
Now I need to ask another noobish questen.
I got this copy of BLOOD from a guy and It dosen't seem to have the build editor with it and I payed my chore money for it and he said it had an editor.
Maybe I'm not clicking on the right things but if I am is there a place where I can download the editor for the game?

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am

He,he...i know about chore money!! my mother still pays me to do the gardening :shock: We both hate the heat and insects and backbreaking labour but i get motivated when money is involved! :) Anyhow...there is serious problems running the editor on XP.It really is very unstable...and as far as i know no one has come up with a fix yet.But...im not sure how it runs under ME...you might be able to build (pardon the pun!) a level on your ME machine and just copy it over to the other.This page might prove helpful..also the banzai add on is pretty good.
http://www.pyramid.net/steveg/blood/main.html

http://www.planetblood.com/controlz/blood-mapedit.shtml

I think the editor is in the `tools' folder if you have the retail cd version...think you have to install it seperately.
The only link i could find to download MapEdit on its own leads to a Filefront download...which is annoying but i just cant seem to find it anywhere else!!
http://www.planetblood.com/files/
Its in the middle of the page.....thought id post this whole page as there is some useful stuff on it.Stupid Filefront!!!

Solo
Cultist

Post by Solo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:12 pm

Thanks once again:)
My moms kind of mad that the guy made me pay for an old game and not give me all he said it had on it.
Of course my mom don't really like the game anyway LOL