key response delay in blood

Discussion about using or improving the BuildXP guide.

Moderator: Moderators

kahkaha

key response delay in blood

Post by kahkaha » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:22 pm

I applied all steps about running build games on winxp.. sound and graphics problem has been solved. but a new problem has been derived. when I press a movement (or fire) key, it usually starts to move a half second later. and when I release the key, it usually continues to move (or turn) a while. is there a solution for that problem?

Maddog

Re: key response delay in blood

Post by Maddog » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:06 am

kahkaha wrote:I applied all steps about running build games on winxp.. sound and graphics problem has been solved. but a new problem has been derived. when I press a movement (or fire) key, it usually starts to move a half second later. and when I release the key, it usually continues to move (or turn) a while. is there a solution for that problem?
kahkaha,

This can occur if the screen resolution is set to high.

You might check that the screen setup in the Blood setup is set to VESA modes (SVGA/VESA 2.0) and 640x480 is selected.
This is in Step 8-13 of the BuildXP instructions.

You may also need to set the screen resolution to 640x480 or less under Video mode in the Options of the game once you have started the game.

You might also double check that Steps 4, 5 and 7 of the BuildXP instructions completed successfully.

Hope this helps.

kahkaha

re: key response

Post by kahkaha » Tue May 03, 2005 7:37 pm

I have checked the steps you mentioned, and found nothing unusual.
I also have tried to change resolution, inside game. I have tried several higher and lower ones than 640x480, but framerate was more irregular..

It happens when I play game with VDM sound.
I have an onboard sound card, a sb live sound card together (using onboard one). might this have an effect?

Areala

re: key response

Post by Areala » Thu May 05, 2005 5:22 am

I was able to fix this problem within Windows itself. Go into the Control Panel, select Keyboard, and set your 'Repeat Rate' low. A little to the left of the exact middle solved the problem for me without affecting anything else under Windows or any of my other games.

I hope this helps!

Areala

kahkaha

Post by kahkaha » Wed May 25, 2005 4:07 pm

yes that solves the problem with some delay remaining

unfortunately that prevents nimble moves :(

I play blood with no sound, but I relaise that sometimes (once for 1 hour playing) my keys delays really 2-3 seconds. I mean, while I am playing, I am losing control some time, and while I am not pressing any keys, character moves according to my last pressed keys.. maybe it is related with that problem..
and if there is anyone who has solved this key response problem, please let him write down here...

Quickening

Post by Quickening » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:39 pm

Yeah Im having this problem to. Can anyone help? It happens in Wolfenstein 3D as well.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:39 am

Are you using a USB keyboard?.
`theres no place like home....Eheheeee!

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:55 pm

Lord Molder wrote:Are you using a USB keyboard?.
Nope, mine plugs into... eh... a round port... :?

Just to note, this happens on Wolfenstein 3D but not with Rise of the Triad. I use VDM sound with Wolf but not Triad. Im sure VDM sound has something to do with it. Maybe.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:45 pm

had the same with shadow warrior.
altho the problem got fixed when i turned off num lock...

Quickening

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:58 pm

YAS!!! It worked! Thank you sir! :D

Arch-Vile
Bat

Post by Arch-Vile » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:10 am

Im having the same problem...uug and after all that trouble getting it to work. Im having a problem in all the games with it(SW,Duke3d, and Blood/CrypticPassage). I dont have Num Lock on and setting the Repeat rate lower doesnt do anything. I have played Blood,SW, and Duke3d with BuildXP before and I never had this problem.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:26 am

Arch-Vile wrote:Im having the same problem...uug and after all that trouble getting it to work. Im having a problem in all the games with it(SW,Duke3d, and Blood/CrypticPassage). I dont have Num Lock on and setting the Repeat rate lower doesnt do anything. I have played Blood,SW, and Duke3d with BuildXP before and I never had this problem.
Use JonoF`s source ports for Duke and Shadow!!!

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/index.php?p=jfsw
`theres no place like home....Eheheeee!

Arch-Vile
Bat

Post by Arch-Vile » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:42 pm

Ive used those they are pretty good. But I just got Cryptic Passage up and running. I want that to work with out the delay crap. Especially since I play Blood and Cryptic Passage on Extra Crispy. I usually can peak around corners very well and make a shot without being hit, now sometimes I try that and I freakin keep walking forward! Or try and turn and it turns slowly or not at all....then 5 seconds later Ill do a 360 :|

Rogue Martyr
Zombie

Post by Rogue Martyr » Wed May 31, 2006 4:36 pm

You can also try...

Right clicking the BLOOD.vlp shortcut...

advanced button...

performance tab...

tick the reduce cpu usage box...

slide the slider all the way to the left.

see if that helps! :)
'Let the festival of Blood continue!'

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:19 am

The above reduce cpu usage worked for me.
Thanks alot for the tip.