Can't get sound running in Blood anymore

Discussion about using or improving the BuildXP guide.

Moderator: Moderators

Ruger

Can't get sound running in Blood anymore

Post by Ruger » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:18 am

Okay, here's my situation.

I've gotten blood to work before following the instructions at http://www.deathmask.net/buildxp/, but now I can't. There are two differences between then and now that I can see:

1) I was using the underdogs rip of One Whole Unit of Blood before, but now I dug out my old Blood and Blood Plasma Pak cd's and I'm using those.

2) I've got a new computer, running XP SP2 and a Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 High Definition 6.1 Surround

What happens when I click the VDMS shortcut supplied by deathmask is it starts to load, showing the Blood config dos window (where it says things like "Loading tiles" "initializing sound system") then it quits instantly before the game finishes loading.

I can get into the game if I tell setup I have no soundcard, and play with only music, but I'd prefer to get sound running too.

The only other things I can think of to add is that if I tell Blood Setup to Test Sound FX Card, with the IRQ set at 7, it says:

"Playback failed, possibly due to an invalid or conflicting IRQ"

Whereas if I Test Sound FX Card with the IRQ set at 5, it kind of plays the sounds, in a very staccato and partial sense. This is what I remember it doing before, when it worked on my old PC.

But if I run Blood with the IRQ set to 5, it quits with this error:

"src\sound.cpp(516): Playback failed, possibly due to an invalid or conflicting IRQ"

So, anyone got any ideas?

Re: Can't get sound running in Blood anymore

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:14 am

Ruger wrote:Okay, here's my situation.

I've gotten blood to work before following the instructions at http://www.deathmask.net/buildxp/, but now I can't. There are two differences between then and now that I can see:

1) I was using the underdogs rip of One Whole Unit of Blood before, but now I dug out my old Blood and Blood Plasma Pak cd's and I'm using those.

2) I've got a new computer, running XP SP2 and a Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 High Definition 6.1 Surround

What happens when I click the VDMS shortcut supplied by deathmask is it starts to load, showing the Blood config dos window (where it says things like "Loading tiles" "initializing sound system") then it quits instantly before the game finishes loading.

I can get into the game if I tell setup I have no soundcard, and play with only music, but I'd prefer to get sound running too.

The only other things I can think of to add is that if I tell Blood Setup to Test Sound FX Card, with the IRQ set at 7, it says:

"Playback failed, possibly due to an invalid or conflicting IRQ"

Whereas if I Test Sound FX Card with the IRQ set at 5, it kind of plays the sounds, in a very staccato and partial sense. This is what I remember it doing before, when it worked on my old PC.

But if I run Blood with the IRQ set to 5, it quits with this error:

"src\sound.cpp(516): Playback failed, possibly due to an invalid or conflicting IRQ"

So, anyone got any ideas?
This can happen if the sound card type setting is not compatable with your sound card.

On my system I had to change the sound card to “Sound Blaster or Compatible” in both the Blood setup and in the Blood VDMSound shortcut.
You may have to try the other types if that one does not work.

To change the sound card type,
Hope this works for you too.

Maddog

RE: Can't get sound running in Blood anymore

Post by Maddog » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:31 am

Sorry, must have clicked the Submit button before I finished.

Anyway, to change the sound card type to "Sound Blaster or Compatible”:
Follow the instructions on the BuildXP webpage.
But, in Step 8-5 Select "Sound Blaster or Compatible" instead of “Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32”. Then:

Right click on the Blood VDMSound shortcut.
NOTE: The Blood VDMSound shortcut is the blood.vlp file you downloaded in step 6 of the BuildXP directions.
This should bring up the context menu.
Click on "Properties" in that context menu.
This should bring up the blood properties window.
Click the "Advanced..." button.
This should bring up the Advanced VDMSound Properties.
Click the "SoundBlaster" tab.
Click the menu down arrow adjacent to the "DSP Ver.:" item.
This should bring up the "DSP Ver.:" menu.
Click on the "1.05 (SoundBlaster 1.x)" menu item.
Click the "OK" button.
You should be back at the blood properties window.
Click the "OK" button.

Hope this helps.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:21 am

I've just tried it with all the different soundblaster emulations, and it's still not working. Thanks for trying anyway.

Lord Molder

Bleedin Bloody Sound

Post by Lord Molder » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:43 am

I have had exactly the same problem,weird thing is it just seems to start crashing all of a sudden at startup,but if i double click on the Blood shortcut quickly after the first time it launches!!! {2x double clicks!!}i can get it to settle down by re-configin the sound card at Blood setup {i had it in Soundblaster 1 for a while-no crackling!! but then it just decided to start crashing for some reason,so i changed it back!!!} a good re-configure usually fixes it for me for a while,but if you cant get it to launch it sounds like a re-install might be needed,be sure to run Blood sound setup and try different stuff and match it in ya Blood shortcut but first,thats how i fixed it!!!!!??! :twisted:

Lord Molder

Bloody Stuff

Post by Lord Molder » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:10 am

I could be dead wrong but after having a bit of a fiddle around ive come to the conclusion this problem has something to do with the blood.cfg file,i can replicate the exact crash i get by deleting it and trying to launch the game....its also interesting that by running Blood setup again after a crashing episode i can get it to run again,so try cutting and pasting blood.cfg to desktop{just to keep the old one just in case!!} and running Blood setup again and see what happens.Its weird but,it just starts crashing out of the blue for me...unless changing the resolution in game has something to do with it....mayby it does something to Blood.cfg......i am really stumped on this......... :?:

Lord Molder

Bloody Stuff

Post by Lord Molder » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:14 am

P.S dont go by the Blood setup not playing sound or bitching about IRQ`s etc,nothing works properly untill ya run it with VDM!!

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:38 pm

Okay, did some further experimenting, and I narrowed down the problem. Patching the blood executable with the Blood SB Live fix is what screws it up. If I don't patch it, I can run Blood, with sound. It is very poor sound, very scratchy, but it is sound. On my old computer running VDMSound, the sound was definitely better. So at this point that's the only thing left I'm curious about:

Is there anything I can do to make the sound better? Different settings on my sound card perhaps?

Lord Molder

Bloody sound

Post by Lord Molder » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:21 pm

Makes sense,You dont have a SBlive!,i just wish i could figure out why the hell im getting these crashing attacks when i dont change anything....... :evil:

dragon_ killer _09

Re: Bloody Stuff

Post by dragon_ killer _09 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Lord Molder wrote:I could be dead wrong but after having a bit of a fiddle around ive come to the conclusion this problem has something to do with the blood.cfg file,i can replicate the exact crash i get by deleting it and trying to launch the game....its also interesting that by running Blood setup again after a crashing episode i can get it to run again,so try cutting and pasting blood.cfg to desktop{just to keep the old one just in case!!} and running Blood setup again and see what happens.Its weird but,it just starts crashing out of the blue for me...unless changing the resolution in game has something to do with it....mayby it does something to Blood.cfg......i am really stumped on this......... :?:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:43 pm.