Running setup for Duke3D

Discussion about using or improving the BuildXP guide.

Moderator: Moderators

werly

Running setup for Duke3D

Post by werly » Wed May 04, 2005 7:09 am

Hey guys,

I have followed the Build XP steps to the letter but when I get to Step 8 - running setup, it does not work. I get the message

"C:\Games\DUKE3D\SETUP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
Choose close to terminate the application"

This is the same message i got when i would try DUKE3D.exe before i did the whole buildxp thing.
When i open the shortcut to run the game (as downloaded in step 6) i get a black screen and the Duke theme plays but i can't do anything.

Any help you guys have would be really appreciated. Its probably something pretty simple but i'll be damned if i know what it is.

Thanks in advance.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Eroorr Eroorr

Post by Lord Molder » Wed May 04, 2005 12:22 pm

Firstly this no slight to the dedicated soul who made this website but if your running duke why not use the JonoF Duke port? Youll have much higher resolutions with perfect sound.The message your getting points to a file thats missing {i think} go into windows/repair and copy the Autoexec.nt file and then paste it into system32,that should fix it {i think!!} :twisted:
`theres no place like home....Eheheeee!

Doom

Post by Doom » Wed May 04, 2005 4:25 pm

we don't need to know thsi crap!
just get jonof's duke 3d port in beautifull 3d polymost open gl graphics!

Post by Guest » Wed May 04, 2005 11:38 pm

Oh yeah, too bad Monolith has not released their Blood source code yet. I wonder what's stopping them? It's not like you can buy Blood anywhere nowadays. If they did Jonof could also make a port of that.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Thu May 05, 2005 1:06 am

Gee,thanks "guest"............. :roll:

werly

Post by werly » Sat May 07, 2005 2:44 am

well alright,

thanks lord molder, i've done what you said and i can run setup now. great. except duke 3d still doesn't work.
i'm just getting a black screen and the duke music and thats it. i can't do anything.
once again, any ideas? :oops:

also, what is this jonof port. is that better for running duke on winxp?

thanks.

Lord Molder
Cultist

stuff

Post by Lord Molder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Yep,the JonoF port is way better both sound and res wise.Try a full reinstall of Duke and run it with the latest Jono F Duke port,and what kind of video card ya got :?:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:22 pm.