Witchaven and Witchaven 2

Discussion about using or improving the BuildXP guide.

Moderator: Moderators

Lord Molder
Cultist

Witchaven and Witchaven 2

Post by Lord Molder » Mon May 09, 2005 9:28 am

Does anyone have any experience running these games? I cant get them to run even under Win98! Are they even worth bothering with?[/img]
`theres no place like home....Eheheeee!

Build 3D Compatibility

Post by Guest » Mon May 09, 2005 11:21 pm

I have a game called Powerslave. It is another one of the Build 3D made games and I think it is really underrated unlike Duke Nukem. In my opinion, it's pretty fun but it won't run on my computer. I'm planning to use this setup for that game. Speaking of Build 3d Game compatibilty, I heard the guy who made the Nolf B patches say that he worked really hard on compatibilty with Duke 3d, Blood, and Shadow warrior. Powerslave, Witchhaven, etc. he hasn't really been working on. So basically, those games have very lose compatibilty according to him. Obviously, they won't run well on your computer with that.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Craphaven

Post by Lord Molder » Tue May 10, 2005 3:52 am

I cant even get the stupid game to run under DOS!!! :x Powerslave,huh?....i might check that out! :D

Powerslave exits just like that....

Post by Guest » Wed May 18, 2005 12:57 am

I still can't get the game to work in Windows or Dos. That's because first of all I need to know where is the default directory with the game e.g.(Duke Nukem 3d is C:\Games\Duke3D

Now I don't know where to put PowerSlave. I also tried DosBox, it works at the beginning but just after a few seconds at the title screen where the skull is laughing the game just exits. I really have no idea what the problem is. Have you made any progress trying to get it to work?

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Wed May 18, 2005 3:55 am

The best thing would be to have a dual boot sytem but ive had a bad problem in Win 98 with my graphics card overheating,either the drivers were making it cook or i was getting a false reading.I havent yet tried Powerslave but ill have a hunt for it and see if i cant get in runnin......

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Thu May 19, 2005 1:57 am

Well, i downloaded Powerslave from Frenchkiss abandonware,configured my sound card to "SoundBlaster Live or compatible" and it runs perfectly.You can just unzip the files into a new file on your desktop and run it from there. :twisted: Use the "PS" shortcut not "PS95".

Powerslave 95?

Post by Guest » Thu May 19, 2005 4:02 am

Thanks! I will give that a try to see if it works! So what do you think about Powerslave so far? I read a lot of reviews where they said that the game had a nice atmosphere.

Just like before

Post by Guest » Thu May 19, 2005 4:13 am

This was exactly what happened before when I ran it with Windows. That is why I switched to Dosbox. After swinging my knife a few times and running a few steps the game just exits. So then I tried Dosbox and it exited at the title screen. I configured it to Creative Labs Sound Blaster or 100% compatible which is what I always do. The sound works and everything is all nice but after a few steps the game just quits for some reason just like before. Can you please help me get it working, then?

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Thu May 19, 2005 7:45 am

What graphics card and sound are u using? are your drivers up to date? {not that i find that ever matters much} Guess what,im getting the same thing,i didnt walk around at all when i first fired it up.My mistake!! ill have a muck around and see if i cant get it happening.

Lord Molder
Cultist

stupid bloody krap!!

Post by Lord Molder » Thu May 19, 2005 11:46 am

AAhhrgg! The stupid thing keeps crashing just were it does for you.It is surely something to do with the sound but coz it runs fine when you configure it with no sound.Im gonna try a different emulator......... :?

Lord Molder
Cultist

Krieg rule this earth

Post by Lord Molder » Thu May 19, 2005 4:10 pm

Ok,the best thing i can suggest is to play through the first level with no sound {tell setup you want no digital sound} because i used a cheat to get to level 2 and it didnt crash at all.It could well be fine just after that first level {or even segment of level} type holly during gameplay and then in the box that pops up type level 2 if you want to bypass levels.I had no luck using VDMS sound.Also be aware that there is a shareware version of the game that contains entierly different levels if you find you like it and finish it :twisted:

Windows ME was really good with Dos

Post by Guest » Thu May 19, 2005 10:29 pm

Well all I remember was that it was running fine when I was using Windows ME. You can play so many Dos games and they all work with that operating system so you will rarely need to use Dos emulators.

No sound, still no work

Post by Guest » Thu May 19, 2005 10:32 pm

Hmm.. I just tried it with no sound and it still exits out after a few steps. I have no idea with level 2 because I can't even run through the first path way let alone kill all the enemies, solve all the puzzles, do all the objectives to finally get to level 2.

Settings?

Post by Guest » Thu May 19, 2005 10:47 pm

I really don't understand what settings to make it for Powerslave to work perfectly. If I knew the settings like where to put the default directory I might be able to use the guide. When are they going to make a port of this so it can be easier for us?

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Fri May 20, 2005 4:30 am

Try the cheat to get to level 2,i had no crashing at all after doing that,the problem could be a bug in the game itself.There probably wont ever be a port,the game was universaly canned {the pc version} when it came out but i dont think its THAT bad! It shouldent matter what directory you use,i just run it from desktop.Use the cheat to warp to level 2,it seems fine after that..........when you start a new game and your just standing there type "holly" to bring up a box in the upper right corner of the screen then type "level 2" {remember the space after "level"}..........