Blood "sound stuttering"

Discussion about using or improving the BuildXP guide.

Moderator: Moderators

J.J.
Rat

Blood "sound stuttering"

Post by J.J. » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:33 am

Hi!

To avoid senseless posting I used the search option , but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for...

I installed Blood (original CD Version) and followed all the instructions with VDM Sound ,etc...
I had to do a little trial and error stuff with the VDM Sound options to prevent the DOS Window from returning to desktop again shortly after starting , but I finally got Blood to work (almost) correctly. the only issue left is a stuttering of the sound and slight graphic performance lags at the start of the menu... I tried to change Sound card types , interrupts ,etc...
I found a error message in the Troubleshooting file ,which might have something to do with it ,but I'm not shure...

@W - 00:03:17.375 - SBController
HandleTransfer: DMA updates too infrequent (unable to keep up with
desired transfer rate), requesting boost

Maybe someone here could help solve this Problem ... or at least link to the thread that i eventually overlooked .. :oops:

Thanks for the effort , in both cases... :)

bye

P.S.: please excuse my bad english skills...

DeM0n
Cultist

Post by DeM0n » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:58 pm

Tried to set it up like they posted in this topic?
http://forums.deathmask.net/viewtopic.php?t=93

J.J.
Rat

Post by J.J. » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:18 pm

Yeah , I've tried to turn some of the options in the "advanced" menu of the VDM Shortcut ... for example , unchecking the EMS Memory - Box made Blood start properly , switching the Sound device made it crash again... and so on ...trial and error... :mrgreen:

Maybe it's my version of Blood [this "special"(?) 2Disc ed. with the Desktop Themes and type'o'negative video]... maybe there is some official patch I should've installed before ? btw. the sound stuttering could be a general performance problem too ... i tried to play blood with sound turned off and noticed that the game is really laggy overall ... even when i turn off things like ICQ or AntiVirus programs...
I've experienced this with DOS-Box before... but the cause of that was the low RAM (265meg) of my system ,that could'nt emulate an adequate machine to run a 3D Engine ... :?

EDIT: used the settings in the thread ,the other thread linked to ... and now i get this:

Maybe I'll just save some money for an old win95 machine :lol:

DeM0n
Cultist

Post by DeM0n » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:11 pm

Oh, don't pay attention to this, just hit "Yes"
That guy in the thread (for some odd reason) is telling people to check boxes like "MIDI recording" (Which cause this window popup) However, just hit "Yes" and it should continue.

As for the laggy problem.

I suggest you reboot your system.
When I try to run blood after a long ass session of running countless programs on my PC and try to run blood, it lags like a motherfucker.
Rebooting can solve that.

J.J.
Rat

Post by J.J. » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:40 am

Well , thanks for the hint , but there now seems to be a new problem occuring... after hitting "Yes" , I now get this:

Tried the old VDMS shortcut again (which at least started the game...) but now this message appears all the time... It's very confusing... :?

UPDATE: I figured out what the problem was ... i simply had to uncheck the EMS memory support box again ... now Blood runs just fine !! :D

Thanks for the support!