About Bloody cutscenes...

Discussion about using or improving the BuildXP guide.

Moderator: Moderators

How do Blood's cutscenes run with you?

I use Xp and they don't play at all
No votes
I use Xp and they play with a delay
75%
I use Xp and they play fine
25%
I use 98 and they play fine
No votes
I use DosBox or some other strange ritual
No votes

Total votes: 4

oBe
Bat

About Bloody cutscenes...

Post by oBe » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:17 pm

Greetings all,

Out of mere curiousity, I was wondering how the cutscenes work with most Blood users.

Notes:
I'm especially interested:
- if people can get monolith.smk and gti.smk working at all (you might want to try to remove the '-quick'parameter from your vlp file to test it)
- if there's a difference in delay, because I can imagine some people won't even notice it
- what cutscene performance is like in other more exotic settings like DosBox

If they don't play at all; chances are you either don't have them or there's a ';' in your blood.ini which is ignored by the engine. Removing these will fix your problem.

Thanks for answering.

Ephemeral
Cultist

Post by Ephemeral » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:09 am

G'Day! It plays well for me on XP, but there is a slight delay. Actually sound is a tiny bit faster than video, or rather the other way round. It seems in the opening scene, when the hand of Tschernobog is visible, video hiccups shortly. I have never seen the logo videos ingame.
I don't use Dosbox, as a 2400+ Processor is way to lame for a demanding game like Blood. ;)

oBe
Bat

Post by oBe » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:18 pm

Okay, did some background research myself so allow me to answer my own question.

- Firstly, looks like every Xp user has a delay, be it hardly noticable or just plain horrible. I noticed that alot things are off by using BuildinXp. For instance midi playback is slightly slower and reaction speed and 'physics' are different as well. This makes some jump puzzles a lot harder.
- Secondly, everyone with a Win98 legacy machine is a lucky bastard.
- Thirdly, DosBox can play the cutscenes flawlessly and Blood feels alot more natural. Though it would be great if they'd made a version that emulates a 486, as opposed to a 286, I can even play it on higher resolutions as well.