Blinking monitor...?

Discussion about using or improving the BuildXP guide.

Moderator: Moderators

VinceIP

Blinking monitor...?

Post by VinceIP » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:38 am

Here's a weird problem... I'm trying to play Duke3D. I followed the guide exactly. When I click on the shortcut on my desktop, everything starts up correctly, and I can hear the music playing to perfection. But right when the music starts, my monitor goes completely black and the power light blinks on an off. I can still hear the music, though.

This has happened to me in other DOS games, such as Tomb Raider. I ALT + ENTER to exit fullscreen, then again to go back into fullscreen, and that usually solves the problem. But with Duke3D, I can't even ALT + ENTER. Then I tried the Windows key, hoping the DOS window would minimize, but the game just seemed to freeze and the music started looping and skipping. So I had no choice but to reboot via my power button.

One other problem that I usually encounter in DOS, is strange colored vertical lines randomly appearing in games. Either that, or the screen goes white. I exit fullscreen and go back into it again, and the entire color palette goes crazy and seems to invert, forcing me to restart the game.

Anyone know what's going on here? :(

Loke
Bat

Post by Loke » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:20 pm

Sorry, I don't know the solution to that problem but there's another, much simpler way to run Duke Nukem 3D by using EDuke32. It's a port making it possible to play on newer operating systems like Windows XP.

Link here.

VinceIP

Post by VinceIP » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Wow, thanks a lot! That works just as smoothly as it would in DOS. I was a bit worried, because I have an old CPU and video card from '98.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:54 pm.