BLOOD Level Editor?

Discussion about using or improving the BuildXP guide.

Moderator: Moderators

Daemonshadow
Rat

BLOOD Level Editor?

Post by Daemonshadow » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:35 am

Hey!

I just got ahold of a full copy of blood, and have installed and tweaked it to perfection using this guide and some experimentation. The game runs, looks, and sounds beautiful. However, all attempts at getting the level editor have failed me...every time I tell it to start up, it does the whole 'loading..." thing in the command window, but the program never actually starts.

I have been able to get the Duke3D editor working with JonoF's port, but I've got no idea where to even start with the blood editor. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

DeM0n
Cultist

Post by DeM0n » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:25 pm

Since there is no source port for Blood you have to set up the "Build.exe" the same way you did with Blood.exe.

You right click on Build.exe and select "Run with VDMS" then you pick "Create a new configuration from scratch" and set it up properly (Like you did with blood.exe)

If you're LUCKY that might solve your problem.

If you already did that, ignore my post.

That's all I can tell you, I never tried to run the blood level editor. Blood is a great game, but I never cared about it as much as I did with SW and Duke :P

Daemonshadow
Rat

Post by Daemonshadow » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:06 am

Sweet, I'm much further than I was earlier, but now, a new problem has popped up...

An error message saying "src\screen.cpp(215): BLOOD.PAL not found".

I'm assuming this has something to do with the palette file, but I have no idea where that is.

Would I have to find some sort of extractor program to extract it from the blood archive kind of like using KExtract on the DUKE3D.grp?

DeM0n
Cultist

Post by DeM0n » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:18 pm

Daemonshadow wrote:Sweet, I'm much further than I was earlier, but now, a new problem has popped up...

I'm assuming this has something to do with the palette file, but I have no idea where that is.

Would I have to find some sort of extractor program to extract it from the blood archive kind of like using KExtract on the DUKE3D.grp?
I don't have Blood anymore, but doesn't it also come with a *.grp file?
Blood, SW and Duke 3d all are based on the Build Engine, so you should be able to use Kextract.

But it shouldn't matter whether the file is in blood.grp or not. The Editor should be able to find it.
I mean, it was able to find all the sprites for Duke 3D and they were all hidden in the duke3d.grp file.

See if the file is in any of the blood folders and if it's not, just copy it into the folder (If you still have the installation disc or whatever else you used to install blood)

RazTK
Rat

Post by RazTK » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:58 pm

DeM0n wrote:I don't have Blood anymore, but doesn't it also come with a *.grp file?
Blood, SW and Duke 3d all are based on the Build Engine, so you should be able to use Kextract.

But it shouldn't matter whether the file is in blood.grp or not. The Editor should be able to find it.
I mean, it was able to find all the sprites for Duke 3D and they were all hidden in the duke3d.grp file.

See if the file is in any of the blood folders and if it's not, just copy it into the folder (If you still have the installation disc or whatever else you used to install blood)
No. The data is spread across number of files (.art, .rff and .dat are some of them), rather than just a single big file.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:21 pm

Daemonshadow wrote:Sweet, I'm much further than I was earlier, but now, a new problem has popped up...

I'm getting the same error message, only I get it after I patch the game (and the message only pops up for one kadrillionth of a second, so it took 20 tries just to get a screenshot of it (with PrtSc) so I could SEE WHAT IT SAID. :x)

Annoyingly enough, my version is 1.0 (registered disc from the store, not a pirated copy or anything, so I would THINK patches would work?), so I can't even see the in game movies, even WITH the disc in the drive and the ini set to look for them on disc, let alone after copying them to the Blood directory and editing the ini file. Am I really just sorta STUCK with the oldest version of Blood in the WORLD if I want it to play properly? :shock:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:21 pm.