Best Quake Ports

This forum is about discussing modern ports for games which have been blessed with open source code.

Moderator: Moderators

Lord Molder
Cultist

Best Quake Ports

Post by Lord Molder » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:45 pm

What Quake ports have you tried and what do you think is the best one as far as looks and preformance?.....i`ve used Darkplaces and Tenebrae....Tenebrea being a system hog from hell but capable of making Quake look like Doom 3....last time i tried it it ran fairly sluggishly. Darkplaces ran smooth as silk but lacks some features of Tenebrae,has anyone tried the new version of Darkplaces?......i couldn`t get it running smoothly with shadows on the old version.
`theres no place like home....Eheheeee!

Willis
Master of the Mask

Post by Willis » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:55 pm

DarkPlaces is my engine port of choice. DarkPlaces actually exceeds Tenebrae's features but does not force them upon users. DarkPlaces gets constant updates and you should always try a more recent build ( see http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/files/?M=D and look for the topmost file starting with darkplacesengine )

DarkPlaces now supports deluxemapping, and downloading LordHavoc's deluxemapping pack http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/ ... ps_id1.pk3 makes things look great.

The important thing to remember when using DarkPlaces is not to mix too many options, because they aren't all meant to be run together. DarkPlaces tries to support everything it can, and does its best to try not to conflict with itself, but sometimes, performance wise, that isn't possible.

Venr2 is also another good engine currently under development: http://entar.quakedev.com/

Also, for QuakeWorld (and I believe it can be a client for normal Quake as well), FTE is a good engine: http://www.fteqw.com

For more options and debate, I'd suggest reading the quakeone.com forums as they are predomintantly NormalQuake oriented (less QuakeWorld)

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:59 pm

Great,i`ll try the newer version.... :) ....and ease up on the options.

EDIT: Bugger i`m on dial up....i`ll have to wait for the deluxe mapping :( .

Willis
Master of the Mask

Post by Willis » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:02 pm

Unless you have a rather powerful machine (both in processor and video), realtime world lighting is not really meant for high resolutions, typically 1024x768 is optimal for most. Also, make sure to get the rtlighting pack, it helps a ton for stock Quake maps, available here

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:07 pm

Willis wrote:Unless you have a rather powerful machine (both in processor and video), realtime world lighting is not really meant for high resolutions, typically 1024x768 is optimal for most. Also, make sure to get the rtlighting pack, it helps a ton for stock Quake maps, available here
Thanks Willis. Yeah i think my compy is starting to get on in years,sadly.

Help with running mods

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:52 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie to this. So I've just downloaded Darkplaces and got it to run with Quake but the thing is I need help on getting the mods to work. The text file tells me to add in an extension like this: Quake -winmem 16 -game (example: quakemax)

My question is how am I supposed to get these types of mods operating with the Darkplaces source port?

Lord Molder
Cultist

Re: Help with running mods

Post by Lord Molder » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:00 am

Anonymous wrote:Hi, I'm a newbie to this. So I've just downloaded Darkplaces and got it to run with Quake but the thing is I need help on getting the mods to work. The text file tells me to add in an extension like this: Quake -winmem 16 -game (example: quakemax)

My question is how am I supposed to get these types of mods operating with the Darkplaces source port?
Here`s how i installed Beyond Belief...

Installed Quake
Installed Darkplaces
made a Beyond Belief folder in the Quake folder
unzipped Beyond Belief into Beyond Belief folder
made a short cut to Darkplaces on my desktop
went into Properties of the shortcut and added -game bbelief to the "target" line.....
so now it`s... C:\QUAKE\darkplaces.exe -game bbelief
Double click on the shortcut and play!!!

Hope that helps...or is there something different about the install method with the mods you are talking about?...i`ve never heard of Quakemax... :?

I`m not sure if it`s even compatible (someone help me out here!!)...
http://kurtzme.free.fr/qmax108.htm

Maybe try running it with Darkplaces EXE instead of normal or Winquake like it says in the link.

Sorry,i`m not very knowlegable about these things.... :oops:

Willis
Master of the Mask

Post by Willis » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:51 pm

Yep, if you place the mod folder in your quake directory, just run darkplaces.exe -game mod_folder_name

You shouldn't need any -winmem or anything reguarding memory as Darkplaces should handle that fine on its own.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:01 am

Ah cool i`m going to check out Quakemax myself.....the faster Ogre sounds killer!.

Darkplaces + Operation Urth Majik : Scrambled text

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:43 pm

Recently, I've attempted to run Darkplaces with another mod for Quake called Operation Urth Majik. When combined with this source port, the letters become gibberish. From my test with another mod, I can infer that the scrambled letters conflict does not occur with every mod. Is the problem linked with the mod itself or is it simply an error associated with Darkplaces?

My process of running the mod was creating a shortcut from Darkplaces, renaming it and changing the target and making it so -game (nameofmod) is added to the line. The reason I named my subject like this is because the mod works fine on it's own, basically without any signs of text glitches, but when coupled with Darkplaces, the errors start to appear.