DOOM Source Ports

This forum is about discussing modern ports for games which have been blessed with open source code.

Moderator: Moderators

DeM0n
Cultist

DOOM Source Ports

Post by DeM0n » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:03 pm

Yo why not.
Even tho the DOOM Collectors Edition comes with Win95 executeables (Which run fine with WinXP) it's still cool to have these ports.

DOOMsday HQ
There you can download a launcher for DOOM/DOOM2/Final DOOM/Hexen and Heretic.
There are also addons for the launcher, so you can use 3D Models in your old games.

Not really my favourite. Since I like my old DOOM games looking crappy.

My Favourite launcher is ZDOOM
ZDoom
It runs DOOM/DOOM2/Final DOOM/Hexen and Heretic in old crappy graphics with a few nice extras like

- particle blood (shoot an enemy and there will be blood on the wall)

Lol oh and you can run the games in a higher resolution.
There also is "Skulltag" which is basically the same as Zdoom just with some online additions.

Lord Molder
Cultist

Post by Lord Molder » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:48 pm

I kinda find Doom too easy these days,especially with Doomsday`s fluid controls.....is there a mod to increase the damage received?....i tried a difficulty mod before but it hardly made any difference (the one that increases the chaingun rate of fire and Mancubus fire rate)
`theres no place like home....Eheheeee!

DeM0n
Cultist

Post by DeM0n » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:21 pm

Skulltag

I only read that they included 1 or 2 new monsters and other changes.
But honestly, I don't know if that only counts for multiplayer or also includes single player :P
I wouldn't know, I never get the time to play doom :cry:

Optimus

Post by Optimus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:44 pm

Gzdoom
*link removed*

An updated version of ZDoom in OpenGL, ZDoomGL is pretty fucked up and not continued anymore, but this is better anyway. Highly recommended.

<admin edit>
That was not a link to Gzdoom. Full game links will not be tolerated on this forum.
</admin edit>

DeM0n
Cultist

Post by DeM0n » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:11 am

Lord Molder wrote:I kinda find Doom too easy these days,especially with Doomsday`s fluid controls.....is there a mod to increase the damage received?....i tried a difficulty mod before but it hardly made any difference (the one that increases the chaingun rate of fire and Mancubus fire rate)
If you are looking for a difficulty change try the wart01-03 files from skulltag, they made a few new monsters, orange Cacodemons, level 3 hell knights, supershotgun dude and some others.

vOid
Cultist

Re: DOOM Source Ports

Post by vOid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:23 pm

Don't forget the Edge port, which can do many of the things Zdoom can such as 3d floors, 3d lighting, opengl rendering, and angled sectors etc. It can't handle moving sectors. It is easily modded thanks to 2 scripting languages that can call on each others functions, called Lua and RTS respectively. They even toyed with having their own map editor- although that isn't likely to make an appearance anytime soon.

http://edge.sourceforge.net/index.html

Corbachu
Rat

Post by Corbachu » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:13 pm

Hypertension is actually based on a modified in-house version of EDGE - and yeah, it's quite powerful if utilized in ways it wasn't built for. =)
Void wrote:It can't handle moving sectors.
It can - you just have to script the hell out of them so anyone doesn't notice. =)

vOid
Cultist

Post by vOid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:40 pm

Actually, the use of MD2 world models for geometry obviates the need for moving sectors- *Looks at whirlpool in shadow warrior.*...almost anyway.

Corbachu
Rat

Post by Corbachu » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:58 pm

That's true, however modern day models in an engine like Doom can look really out of place. I'm using a few for the world geometry in Hypertension but I'm working to not overdo it - if you do it's too easily noticeable. =)